Developer's BlogTheorem

 Pokémon models management

By Theorem on April the 9th, 2009 under Ekaiyo project

After being away for a while, I return to the forums and check
that the Graphics board is pretty much chaos, filled with pokémon
model threads everywhere. Trying to improve this, I talked with ManTis
and we decided to remodel things a bit.

We created a section for the graphics boards, and divided it into
two different boards: One containing the pokémon models discussions
and the other one containing everything else.

In addition, I created a modeling status section, so that we know immediately
in which state is the modeling process of each pokémon.

Troive is now part of the team, as he's been doing a few nice models, and he's been quite active in the forums. I hope that he can help us moderate the whole modeling process.

See you next time.


 Pre-production and ABE updates

By Theorem on August the 4th, 2008 under Ekaiyo project

As you could see in ManTis's previous post, he'll be out until the 9th, or something like that. So I've been developing the pre-production demo while he's gone.
I've finished all my assigned tasks, so I'm just waiting for his return to tweak the shader a bit and help me out with movement prediction.
I tested it out with moomoo and TopYoash, and everything seems to be working fine. I guess we're on the right track now.

All is going well in that department, so I decided to update Ekaiyo's ABE -- Advanced Battle Engine.

As one could see in the forum thread about ABE, I was porting the old C++ code to C#. That was about a year ago. This summer, I'm working on it again.

I'm now working on the multiplayer battle architecture, which requires handling actions from several clients in the same battle and stuff.
It will be pretty straightforward, I just have to get some inspiration.
Having it finished, I'll move on to the damage calculator, which was done in the C++ version, but needs to be ported.

If I have this done on time, we could actually integrate it with the preproduction demo; that would be just awesome.


 The Pokemon Net Consortium

By Theorem on April the 18th, 2008 under Ekaiyo project

We've been contacted by Pivot, from the core crew of PokeGlobal, and he had a very interesting invitation for us.
There seems to be an initiative called the "Pokemon Net Consortium". It is composed by several Pokemon MMORPG developers, coming from different games, such as PokeGlobal, PokeQuest and Pokemon Online Revolution.
Its aim is to specificate a common network protocol shared by all the games, opening up a couple of new possibilities. One of them being allowing battles between games, and possibly some other kind of interaction.

Me, as the core crew developer responsible for networking and the battle system, am currently assigned to the task of maintaining contact with Pivot and the other PNConsortium developers.
As every other game is 2D, and we are the only 3D one, there might be some
impossibilities in the creation of a single protocol, but we'll see how this might work out.

I hope that this noble movement brings profit to every MMORPG involved.

Meanwhile, I've been working with LUA and with Networking in C#, and I was
able to create a simple chat, with a server, many clients, and a bot whose
behaviour is programmed in LUA scripting.


 Webpage fuss

By Theorem on August the 16th, 2007 under Ekaiyo project

I'm glad this thing is finished. I was the guy who coded the page, so I better not hear any complaints.
I used z00tTheater to test the PHP framework I'm working on, so I could test deploying a website on a
strange server. Lots of bugs came out, so it was a kind of positive experience, but it still has a lot
of work needed to be done, though.

(Also, the text area where I'm writing is this small: |------------------|, so it kind of sucks).

Anyway, I had to stop working on ABE in order to work on this, so the time schedule got changed. I am no
longer working on it, and I am on a very tight schedule right now, working for our national health
regulating entity as a programmer/syadmin for the month of August. I don't know when I'll have time for
ABE anymore, but I'll try to finish it ASAP. I've been fiddling with networking in C#, trying to get
players to connect. I'll need to plan the database for players information, aswell. I don't really
know what to do first, the networking or the battle engine. The battle engine is more exciting, so
I guess I'll go that way.

And this is it. Bye o: